BEST WAY DOWNTOWN:
JFK is 15 miles (24 km) southeast of Mid-Manhattan. There are Ground Transportation Counters at the arrivals area (near baggage claim) in all airports. Call 1-800-AIR-RIDE for latest ground travel information. Do not accept rides from individuals inside the terminals, or outside. Only use licensed taxis from a dispatcher or official bus services. Do not accept help with your baggage, just go to the Ground Transportation Counter, bus stop, or taxi stand.
The airport's Web site includes useful information such as:
Go to the taxi stand outside the baggage claims area at curbside. Give your destination to the dispatcher and he will direct you to the correct taxi. The fare to anywhere in Manhattan is $30 plus tip. Journey time is about 35 minutes to one hour to midtown Manhattan.
New York Airport Service (formerly the Carey Bus) has frequent service to Manhattan and other areas such as LaGuardia, Jamaica Queens, and Brooklyn. Buses depart for the city every 30 minutes from 5 A.M. to 10 P.M. from all JFK terminals. The ride to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, on 42nd St. between 8th and 9th avenues, will take about one hour. The bus also stops at Grand Central Terminal at 125 Park Avenue. The fare is $9. It's important to note that:
- For the hotel bus you must make reservations by calling 212-286-9766
- To get the airport-bound bus at Penn Station, you must go to their bus stop located on 7th Avenue, between 32nd and 33rd Streets (not in the station)
- For the airport-bound bus from the Port Authority Bus Terminal, the pickup location is on 42nd Street between 8th and 9th Avenues (not in the station)
- The Grand Central Station pickup location is across the street from Grand Central at 125 Park Avenue
- For the more information, visit their Web site at http://www.nyairportservices.com or call 718-875-8200
Gray Line operates a mini-bus shuttle from all terminals to most midtown hotels and any stop between 23rd and 63rd Streets. It runs from 7 A.M. to 11 P.M. daily. The fare to midtown is $16; for bookings, use the courtesy phone, or inquire at the Ground Transportation Desk.
Several private car and limousine companies operate from all New York Airports. You can book in advance and they will meet your flight, or call them from the self service phones at the Ground Transportation Desk.
Examples of these are Westchester Express (1-800-532-3730), Carmel Car and Limo (1-800-924-9954), Dial Car (1-800-342-5106), and Skyline Credit Ride (1-800-533-6325). The fare is a little more expensive than a taxi. An example: From JFK to the Marriott Marquis near Times Square, the fare is between $40 and $60 plus tolls ($4 to $6) and tip, for a private limo.
All major rental car companies are represented at JFK.
World Airport Information
Adapted from How to Get Out of the Airport